In Venezuela, these empanadas made with puff pastry are called pastelitos. They are very popular for breakfast, a true delight! The fillings can vary: there are cheese, ham and cheese, chicken, meat, ricotta, and spinach, among other flavors. I prepare them at home very often, as they are the favorites of my family. Prepare them and surprise your family with a different and very tasty breakfast!
- two Pillsbury® Puff Pastry Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- one cup ham, chopped into small pieces
- one egg
- one tablespoon of water
- one tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 ° F.
2. Carefully roll out the puff pastry. Using a circular cutter, cut the dough into circles of about 9 inches.
3. Mix the cheese and ham in a small bowl. Reservation.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of the cheese and ham mixture in the center of each circle. Fold and seal the edges with the teeth of a fork.
5. Mix the egg with the water. Reservation.
6. Place the empanadas on a large baking sheet and brush them with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired.
7. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until patties are golden brown.
8. Serve immediately.