Cheese pupusas have been one of my favorites ever since I was a child. When cooking the pupusas, the cheese melts and mixes wonderfully with the soft tortilla dough that surrounds it and which becomes one of the traditional favorite foods in El Salvador and other Central American countries. The corn used to make the pupusas is nixtamalized, which gives it its characteristic flavor and texture. This time combine the cheese with grated zucchini to make different but equally tasty pupusas.
- one zucchini
- 1/2 pound of grated cheese Salt
- 3 cups tortilla dough
1. Grate the zucchini and combine it with the grated cheese and salt. Knead well and let it rest for a few minutes.
2. Using 1/2 cup portions of dough, make tortillas.
3. Place portions of the filling in the center, about 1 tablespoon.
4. Close and pat, moistening hands, if necessary, to make pupusas.
5. Cook in a hot skillet and serve with tanning.