Making baked chicken at home is so easy and it comes out so rich that there is no point in buying it done. You just have to follow some very simple steps, starting with buying a good chicken, preferably organic, to ensure the best flavor. I like to put it in brine, which is a combination of well-seasoned water so that the meat is imbued with all those flavors. This step can be skipped if you are short on time, but I assure you that it makes a difference in the final quality of the chicken. Having a baked chicken at home gives you the option to use leftovers in a number of creative and easy ways, making it super convenient and a great way to vary the menu for the week. You can use the shredded meat to make a chicken salad combined with lettuce and other vegetables. Or with chopped apples, grapes, pecans, and raisins, for sweeter, Christmassy flavors. If there are flour tortillas in the refrigerator, they should be used to make quesadillas with cheese and chicken. Add a little chopped chili, a few sprigs of cooked and chopped broccoli, and you will have another super easy dish. As you can see, baked chicken is not only delicious but also super practical and versatile.
- one whole chicken
- 1/2 cup of salt
- one teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 Sugar cup
- one lemon
- two tablespoons of honey
- one tablespoon mustard
- two tablespoons soy sauce
- one tablespoon olive oil
- one fresh thyme sprig
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
1. Wash the chicken and dry it very well. Remove the interiors.
2. In a large container, dissolve 1/2 cup of salt, 1 teaspoon of pepper, and 1/2 cup of sugar in 2 or 3 liters of water. Dip the chicken in this liquid, cover it, and refrigerate two hours.
3. Drain the liquid and dry the chicken. Place it in a baking dish or container lined with aluminum foil, so that it is easy to clean afterward.
4. Preheat oven to 375ºF.
5. Using a kitchen wire, tie the chicken legs so that they do not lose shape.
6. Spread all the skin of the chicken with a mixture of lemon juice, honey, mustard, soy sauce, and olive oil. In the abdominal cavity of the chicken, you can put the squeezed lemon and a few sprigs of thyme, oregano, or any other fresh herb you have. Spread the whole garlic around the chicken.
7. When the oven is hot, put the chicken inside and bake for 1 hour, spraying every 15 minutes with the cooking juice.
8. Remove it from the oven and make a cut in the thigh part to see if the liquid that comes out is transparent. If so, the chicken is ready, otherwise continue baking for an additional 20 minutes.
9. When you take it out of the oven you have to let it rest for about 15 minutes so that the meat remains juicy.
10. And now yes, cut it and serve it with the cooking juice.
11. As a garnish, you can serve a salad of lettuce and radishes. Also roast cauliflower 20 minutes in the oven, with garlic and olive oil.